DANIEL TEPFER firstname.lastname@example.org
BRIDGEPORT — The state dropped charges Monday against a city man accused of raping a woman in her Charles Street home after a police investigation determined the woman made up the story.
Assistant State's Attorney Tatiana Messina nolled the charge of first-degree sexual assault against Jose Ramos, 40, of Charles Street.
"Upon further investigation by Bridgeport Police Detective Angel Llanos it was determined that the complainant fabricated the incident," Messina said.
The accuser, Deborah Bell, 37, "has since retracted her complaint," the prosecutor said.
The prosecutor said the woman has not yet been arrested and the investigation is continuing.
Ramos had been free after posting $50,000 bond.
The 37-year-old woman complained that on Feb. 8 Ramos had raped her.
The woman claimed Ramos had come to her door early in the morning and began banging on it until she let him in, police said. After they had watched television for a while, the woman claimed Ramos grabbed her, and forced her into her bedroom where he sexually assaulted her, according to her initial complaint.