Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Rape Culturists": zealots who don't need silly things like facts

I want you to read two pieces -- the first is by a former Colorado University student who claims "rape culture" pervades the school's philosophy department. It's called Patriarchy and rape culture in philosophy department.

If you are fair-minded, as you read the article, you will be asking yourself, "what evidence supports these conclusory allegations?"

One of the comments under the article chimes in with this bizarre assertion: "I can affirm that almost all of my female-identified friends have been sexually assaulted in our lifetimes, myself included."

I shudder to think how that writer and her female-identified friends define "sexual assault," but the claim is so silly no rational person can take it seriously.

Now read the rebuttal of a recently retired professor, who makes the author of the first piece look downright delusional here.

This is a microcosm of the "rape culture" meme: wild, man-hating conclusions posited as truth. What personal dysfunction fuels these beliefs, I don't know, and I don't care. It's time for all persons of good will to stand up and say, "Enough, enough, enough. This is asinine."