Monday, January 5, 2015

Prof. Dershowitz: 'They took on the wrong innocent person.'

Titan of criminal jurisprudence and retired Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz was mentioned in a lawsuit filed against a former client, Jeffrey Epstein, charging that federal prosecutors in Florida broke the law by granting Epstein a plea deal to avoid a federal prosecution. According to a court filing quoted by the website Politico, Epstein forced the minor, referred to as Jane Doe #3, to have sex with Britain’s Prince Andrew, Dershowitz and other prominent figures.

Prof. Dershowitz refuted the charges: “I don't know this woman. I've never been with this woman. I've never been in the places and times they say I was. I can prove all that.” And: "It’s a completely, totally fabricated, made-up story. I have never had sex with an underage woman. They made up this story out of whole cloth. I’m an innocent victim of an extortion conspiracy." Dershowitz made clear that he wants "to see this played out not only in the court of public opinion but in the court of law."

He "called it 'fascinating' that what he claims are false accusations of sexual misconduct came after he and other Law School professors 'demand[ed] due process for Harvard students in cases of sexual assault.' He said he is 'even more committed' to incorporating due process into sexual assault adjudication procedures now that he has been accused of misconduct."

He also said that "anti-Semites and anti-Israel 'zealots' are having a field day over sexual abuse allegations leveled against him . . . ."

"They took on the wrong innocent person," he said.

Dershowitz is not content with just making public statements about the accusation. He went on the offensive: "I will prove beyond any doubt not only that the story is totally false but it was knowingly false, that the lawyers and the client conspired together to create a false story." He continued: "That's why I'm moving for their disbarment. I will swear under oath - and I challenge them to swear under oath - that it did not happen. I will not rest or stop until the world understands not only that I had nothing to do with any of this but that she deliberately, with the connivance of her lawyers, made up this story wilfully and knowingly."

Dershowitz said: “I am seeking to enter an appearance in the case in order to be able to challenge them in court. I am filing a sworn affidavit which subjects me to perjury prosecution if I am lying and I am waiving the statute of limitations on any criminal charges and challenging the woman to file criminal charges against me because if she does she's committed a crime by filing the false charge.”

Dershowitz gave some advice to the wrongly accused: "You cannot allow these allegations to hang above you. The first question you have to ask yourself when you are charged with a crime like this is, 'Is there any conceivable possibility you did it?'" he said. "And if the answer to that is 'No', you have to fight back with every resource and ounce of energy available to you."

Dershowitz has represented, among many others, Claus von Bulow, Patty Hearst and Mike Tyson.